One of the ways our dentist treats periodontal disease is with Arestin®. This is an antibiotic medication that can help combat the effects of gum disease if it is coupled with other good hygiene habits. If you are suffering from periodontal disease in Valencia, California, please call JR Dental today at 661-290-3355 to schedule your next appointment with Dr. Jean Pierre Rwigema!
Arestin® (minocycline hydrochloride) is an antibiotic treatment for periodontal disease. Arestin comes in the form of a powder containing microspheres (particles smaller than grains of sand) filled with medication, and is placed inside infected periodontal pockets following a scaling and root planing procedure. These microspheres release the antibiotic gradually, actively fighting periodontal disease for 30 days in your mouth. Within 90 days of your treatment, it should produce significantly better results than a scaling and root planing treatment alone.
After you have received a periodontal treatment using Arestin, we recommend that you:
- Avoid touching the treated areas of your gums for 1 week.
- Wait to floss or use toothpicks in the treated areas for 10 days.
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy, or sticky foods for 1 week following treatment.
- Limit your smoking and use of other tobacco products, as this will hinder the healing process.
- Keep all your follow-up appointments to ensure that your gum disease remains under control.
Arestin is most effective as part of a good oral hygiene routine. Continue to brush and floss regularly to keep your teeth and gums clean and control the harmful bacteria and plaque in your mouth.
For more information about Arestin, please contact our office today.